The topiary garden’scenterpiece is a working clock, 25 feet in diameter, that dates from 1955. Renovated in 1998, the clock face now features three different low-growing succulents and copper zodiac signs that were crafted to replicate earlier ones. The clock is bordered by a ring of chalk sticks (Senecio mandraliscae).
The topiary garden surrounding the clock dates from 1958 when Madame Walska purchased a number of large topiary animals. Over the years these declined, with the last remaining frames removed in 1995.
In 2001, landscape designer Lori Ann David and Lotusland staff re-designed the area, which now features new topiaries created in shapes reflecting the original topiary circus. Twenty-six animals include a camel, gorilla, giraffe, and seal as well as chess pieces and geometric shapes.
A new low-growing boxwood maze was added at the lower end of the garden, incorporating an original marble fountain and an antique baptismal font.